Friday, October 31, 2008

Roberts Chapel Baptist Church







It is with profound sadness that I write about the fire yesterday that destroyed the building, but not the spirit nor the community, that is Roberts Chapel Baptist Church in Pendleton. We first heard the news from our FedEx driver about 3:00 and then later got more details on the phone from friends. I drove over after work praying that it was not as bad as we had heard but sadly it was. I can think of very few communities that are more closely associated with a single church than Pendleton is. I went through elementary and high school with a busload of Edwards, Manns, Fishers and others who were a part of that church and community and found many of them yesterday standing in the street and in the yards in Pendleton watching their history go up in flames. As I walked up on the scene with my camera, Gwen Bryant turned and asked me how many weddings had I photographed there. I can't begin to count how many and I'm sure my father and brother would have been equally unable to name a number. I have observed so many celebrations in that building and feel privileged to call their members my friends.

I know in my heart that the community will recover and that the church will go on and I am so thankful that no one was hurt, but my heart aches for the loss to the people of Pendleton and the congregation of Roberts Chapel.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carol,
THANK YOU for being such a big part of so many lives. You have been there for the good times and now, even the sad times. As usual, your photography is excellent and I appreciate your talents. Thank you again for your comments, your concern, and your thoughtfulness.
Kitty Mann

Michele said...

Carol-

I can only imagine how devastating this is to so many in the community!

I am so glad I stumbled across your blog, LOVE looking at your pics and now I can do that regularly:-) Will be adding you to my list:-) It was great seeing you the weekend at Kelly and Scooter's reception:-)

Grumpy said...

I am a United Methodist pastor with three small country churches, all 3 over 100 years old. I can only imagine the heart breaking loss for the congregation. Your pictures were extraordinary, I held my breath between them hoping it would not end as it did. Emotionaly powereful, thanks.